Thursday 25 July 2013

A Day out at Pitmedden Garden


On Sunday we took an impromptu trip to nearby Pitmedden Garden, picking up a picnic lunch en-route (courtesy of Nana!). We love exploring our nearby parks and gardens because they are a great cheap day out and Poppet loves the wide open spaces and new environments to explore. On this occasion we decided to sign up for National Trust for Scotland membership for the whole family for £5.75 a month. I thought this was great value considering that parking alone is normally a couple of pounds and it gives us free access to over 1000 properties ranging from castles and gardens to nature reserves and museums. We are really looking forward to some great kiddie-friendly days out!


We had our lunch on a picnic bench and then took a lovely shaded walk through the woodland together before splitting up into two groups - Nana, Little and I went to the tearoom for a cream tea while Dada and Poppet went on an adventure!


Poppet was so excited to go off with just her daddy and do some exploring. From what I can gather they went searching for monkeys in the trees, collected pinecones, took some wheat from a field, played Poohsticks, and probably other things that they are not telling me because they were dangerous and I wouldn't approve.


Meanwhile me and my mum enjoyed a lovely cream tea with Little (who was supposed to be sleeping but didn't oblige us).


We had a wander through their Museum of Farming Life and Poppet particularly liked the old farmhouse that you could look round, especially the bedroom upstairs that the whole family slept in - apparently this was "mummy and daddy's bed, my bed, and Little's bed". I do love these recreated rooms to have a nosy in!


We managed a quick walk through the walled gardens but the girls were getting antsy for their nap so we had to make a quick getaway. We will definitely be returning for a proper look round and get there much earlier this time. I love the sound of their herb garden and all the apple trees. On the last Sunday in September they hold harvest celebrations where you can buy fruits harvested from the gardens so I would definitely like to visit again then!


Poppet: 2yrs 6 mos
Little 9 mos

2 comments:

  1. NT sites are so beautiful and like you I think the annual membership is such a good idea. I'm very envious of your cream tea (I am definitely overdue one), thanks for sharing your lovely photos of your outdoor fun with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are aren't they, I'm looking forward to discovering more. Thankyou! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!